Sunday, October 1, 2017

When September Ends..

I've already shown my garden, but now that yesterday we did a little demo and rebuilding, I have decided to share it again.

My garden is just this patch of dirt in between my driveway and my sidewalk to the garage. It leaves this almost triangular area open for planting. The thing is, Justin's grandma has been giving us more and more bulbs and we are out of room in there!

My uncle brought us an old garden box that I had Justin put back together for me. Then, I got to work digging up all my gladiolus. I already dug up all the portulaca to bring in the house over winter.
The new garden box.
My dug up garden; inset is the gladiolus and lily bulbs.

After digging all the gladiolus out, the hard work began. We put the garden box between our two living room windows and started digging down in the garden, filling five gallon buckets, and dumping the dirt in the garden box. Every time we water our garden, dirt and water go streaming down the driveway and we had been planning to dig it down to where you could see the concrete around the entire perimeter, and decided we might as well fill the garden box to kill two birds with one stone.
Filling the garden box with dirt.
Once we had our dirt out of the garden and enough in the box, we began leveling it out and dividing up the plants. I wanted to keep some gladiolus in the garden, but also wanted some in the box along the back. We had had them around the perimeter of the garden which we didn't think through because with their height, it was hard to see around them.
Placing the gladiolus.
We had six variety lily bulbs, four mystery bulbs, a pack with about fifty strawberry swirl windflower bulbs, and five mum bushes we had found at Walmart that morning. I decided to put the lilies (three on each side) as the border for the width of the flower box. Then the two mystery bulbs were planted on the inside of the lily bulbs. I then dug out the big middle area of the box and put a bunch of the windflower bulbs, along with some gladiolus and lily bulbs that had broke off from when I did the destruction of the garden in that area. I ended up moving my two small decorative signs over there, with my milk can and my antler.
Finishing up garden box. 

We finished up in the garden by planting the bird feeder into the middle. Around the bird feeder, we left a circle of gladiolus. Around the gladiolus, we planted a circle of windflowers. Then, on the outside of the windflowers, we planted the mums in a circle, leaving plenty of room to put the portulaca back outside next spring.
Finished up garden. 

This project took about four hours in total, and was a great way to spend the last day of September.

No comments:

Post a Comment